Friday, May 9, 2014

Global Campus student to be featured speaker at commencement

DSC_2195A WSU Global Campus student—and super-spirited Coug fan—will be one of the featured speakers at this Saturday’s commencement ceremony at WSU Pullman.

Katey Koehn is a director of program management for Yahoo, and is graduating with a B.A. in social sciences. In 2013, she was recognized as one of Yahoo’s top 100 managers. At WSU, she is a member of the Alpha Sigma Lambda national honor society and has spent nine consecutive semesters on the president’s honor roll. 

“I plan to talk a bit about being a Global Campus student and the cool things we all do to stay in touch with our ‘inner Coug’ while off-campus,” said Koehn, who lives in California’s Silicon Valley. “If I can offer just one person in the room even a small nugget of inspiration I will consider my task successful.”

Koehn is active in the Northern California Alumni Association, and has waved the WSU flag for ESPN’s College GameDay. “I got up at 4 in the morning and drove to Palo Alto,” she said. “I waved the red one and ran over to the other side and waved the white one.”

Koehn will be speaking at 3 p.m. to graduates of the College of Business, College of Education, and Edward R. Murrow College of Communication. The other two featured speakers are WSU President Elson S. Floyd and Orlin Reinbold, owner of Landmark Turf and Native Seed of Spokane, Wash. The ceremonies will be live-streamed at http://www.experience.wsu.edu, and archived at the same Web address.

“I can't believe the journey I started four and a half years ago is reaching this milestone and I am proud to have been so warmly welcomed into the WSU family,” Koehn said. “I learned more than I ever thought I would and while my time as a student is over, I am looking forward to staying involved and contributing in any way that I can.”

A “Cougar shrine” in her office. For more about Katey Koehn, please see the WSU Online blog article.

No comments:

Post a Comment