Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grad learns that dreams within reach

We love to stay in touch with our grads. So we were delighted to receive a letter from Fred Misumi. Fred earned a 2005 business degree from WSU’s online program and graduated with a 4.0 GPA. Here are excerpts from his August letter to his academic advisor:
Fred Misumi
I just graduated from Pennsylvania State University MBA last week!  Ended with a GPA of 3.88, and have some recommendations set up for potentially pursuing Ph.D. in finance!
Right now, I am sorting out options for the next chapters of my life. One that looks appealing is to become a finance professor at a major university – which means that I'll likely have to get some teaching experience under my belt, and of course earn a Ph.D. at some reputable school.  Of course, another option is that my employer could move me up the totem-pole/food-chain as well.  But I'm not holding my breath for a promotion to fall into my lap.  I have to work hard at shaping my own destiny.
Once again, I have to thank you for your support and encouragement.  I still remember so clearly the time I asked you for input on taking 12 credits in a single term after acing the previous two terms with nine and six credits respectively. I took a great leap of faith and not only realized that I could do it, but that I could do even more. It was that stretching moment that has helped me to overcome the challenges I experienced in completing the MBA at Penn State. 
I have learned that I can do much more than I think I can, so long as I’m willing to strive for things beyond my comfort zone. What may seem like impossible goals to complacent people are actually realistic objectives for someone who has been striving and achieving goals in increasingly rapid succession.
Regards,
Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment