Monday, May 17, 2010

94-year-old graduate: 'I've had a busy life'

At 94, a California woman, right, became the nation's second oldest college graduate over the weekend.

"It's taken me quite a long time because I've had a busy life," said Hazel Soares. "I'm finally achieving it, and it makes me feel really good."

Who's the oldest college grad? Nola Ochs of Kansas. She graduated from Fort Hays State University three years ago at 95. But she didn't stop there. On Saturday, at age 98, Ochs received her master's degree in liberal studies from Fort Hays.

Last semester, WSU Online had 146 students over 50. Here's a look at one WSU Online student who returned after a 40-year break.

For other older people considering earning a degree, Soares offers this advice:

"There's no reason why you could not go back," she said. "Some people do give up the idea or postpone the idea. It's too late. It's too much work. They may not realize that once you try it, it's exciting to go to school."

1 comment:

  1. I just love these kind of stories. I thought I got my degree late at age 50. This makes me want to go on to a post graduate degree! Don English

    ReplyDelete