Monday, February 15, 2010

ASWSU-DDP appoints new senator

Sports teams and student governments often lose their best people to graduation. But just like the Cougars, the ASWSU-DDP had a recruit standing by.
In January, WSU Online’s student government appointed Erica Vieira to the Senate seat vacated by Larry Lawrence, who moved to the president’s post when Debby Poris graduated the previous month. Vieira was chosen from three contenders after each made a presentation to the student government.
“I thought that playing an active role in our student government would be a great way to get involved,” Vieira said.
Vieira earned her associate’s degree at Bellevue College. Bellevue’s co-admission agreement with WSU cinched her next enrollment decision. “The fact that both schools made it so easy for such a non-traditional student was a huge selling point for me,” she said. “Everyone I’ve worked with from the distance recruiter to my advisor has made my transition so easy and stress free.” More...The Seattle resident is a wife and stay-at-home mother. Her three children are 11, 6, and 3.
“Returning to college in the traditional sense really wasn’t an option for me,” she said. “If and when my kids got sick or needed to be away from school for some reason, I would have to skip class, which is something I did not want to do.”
Vieira enrolled in WSU Online in fall 2009 and is earning a social sciences degree, with concentrations in human development and political science. She plans to graduate in 2011.
“I see grad school applications in my future,” she said, “but my main goal in life has been to help people in one way or another. I’ve been considering working in adoption placement, being a student advisor, or a counselor in a transitions school.”
Vieira’s Senate seat and the other eight student government positions are up for grabs this spring, with voting from March 4-12, and election results due on March 13. Ten students are in the running and campaigns begin Feb. 22. Voters will be able to view the candidates’ Web postings, and meet them in online chat rooms at the ASWSU-DDP Web site.
Vieira said she’ll seek to retain her seat. “It’s all still sinking in,” she said, “but I love it so far!”

No comments:

Post a Comment